August 22, 2013

Gluten, dairy, and egg free sweet cornbread

I love sweet cornbread. Sweet, fluffy, tender cornbread.

I'm pretty excited about how this turned out, and I feel the need to share this love.

Makes 9 servings

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose gluten free blend
3/4 cup white sugar (I haven't tried to use agave - I will try that next time and report back)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3 1/2 tsp baking powder

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup canola oil

1 flax egg

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, then make your flax egg and let it sit until thickened. Flax egg is made by combining 1 Tbsp of flax meal with 3 Tbsp of hot water. Whisk all of your dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. After the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined, whisk in your wet ingredients and the flax egg.

Whisk until the batter is free of lumps, and pour into a sprayed 8x8 or 9x9 pan. (I baked mine in a 9x9 square pan.) Smooth batter out and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating half way through.

Cornbread is done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cool on a wire rack before cutting into 9 squares.

Enjoy!

No comments: